I’m really excited to announce that beginning next week, I’ll be teaching private voice lessons at Leo Jr./ Sr. High School! Choir director, Kim MacDonald, has invited me to work with her high school and middle school students during their choir classes. My Leo students who come to the studio are so great to work with, I’m looking forward to meeting their fellow choir members!
By expanding the voice studio to Leo, I hope to be able to reach students who would have trouble getting to the studio for weekly lessons. Often students really want to work on developing their voices, but after school schedules and transportation challenges get in the way. When I was in high school, it was a big help to me and my parents to have voice lessons available at school. Now I can do the same for other students!
So what can Leo students expect from in-school lessons? Much the same as in-studio lessons. In fact, Leo students are always welcome in the studio, too!
- We’ll start by setting personal goals. The beauty of private lessons is individualized instruction. Want easier high notes or more breath support? Wish you had the confidence to audition for the school musical? Want to study music in college? Each student has their own reasons for taking voice lessons. What are yours?
- We’ll do exercises and activities to help you reach your goals. If you’re having trouble matching pitch, we’ll work on that. If your range is small, we’ll work on expanding it. If you want to study music in college we will take a different approach than if your ultimate musical goal is to be confident enough to sing a solo by the end of your senior year.
- We will work on songs for performance. From ISSMA to choir solos to musical auditions to college auditions to recitals there are lots of opportunities to gain performance experience and confidence. You’ll learn appropriate songs for different events.
- We’ll assess your progress and make new goals. As time goes on, your goals are likely to change. You’ll master some skills and be ready to move on to work on others. We’ll celebrate how far you’ve come and look forward to new challenges.
- I will challenge you to do better. Singing well takes a lot of effort and a belief in yourself. It’s okay if you don’t have much confidence yet. It’s something we can work on. I believe in every one of my students. If you work at it, you can do it!
- We will have fun! Singing is awesome! Even though we’re working hard, we’ll laugh and have a great time. Some of our exercises are downright silly. I want you to love singing and be a passionate musician. Improving your skills and learning new music makes singing so much more fun!
I can’t wait to meet my new Leo students next Tuesday! If you’re a Leo student or parent who’s interested in voice lessons, Register Here or Contact Us from more information.